Sunday, August 24, 2008

Vacation & Removing the Top

As you can imagine it has been getting quite hot here in Phoenix, so my wife and I decided to take a little road trip to greener lands before her school starts back up.

Colorado...


Look! It's green! Been a while since we've seen that color!

I haven't had too much progress on the car the past couple weeks, but I did start replacing the convertible top. My wife bought me the new top for my birthday. She's so wonderful. :-)

The old top...


This thing had to come off. The back was very easy. There were a series of snaps along the corners that come right apart. Then I just had to unbolt the metal bracket that was holding down the top along the rear window (you can see it in the picture above). There was some glue holding the top onto the bracket, but it came off fairly cleanly.

I was all excited about how easy this was going until I started on the front. Rivets. Not that riveting is difficult, I just didn't have any of the tools.


There were 3 metal strips that were riveted along the front to hold the top on. A short one near either corner and a long one that went most of the length of the top. I ripped out the rivets with some pliers and pulled off all the metal strips.


The long strip across the center...


Pulling back the top revealed some glue that was holding it together...


Nice...


All and all the removal was very easy. The pictures I took were as much to remind me how to put the new one on as they were to document my progress.


Unusual statement, but it's not as sexy topless.

No comments: