Sunday, December 14, 2008

Rear Seat

Originally in the Spitfire, the only protection between the driver's head and the gas tank was a thin fabric cushion. Now that the gas tank is gone, again the only thing between my batteries in the trunk and the driver's head is that thin fabric cushion. It would be nice to have a little more protection from flying battery acid.

Here's a view of the trunk from the driver's seat with the rear cushion removed.


I measured out the size of the opening, and dug up a 1/4" sheet of wood from my storage room.


After short work with the jig saw, the wood was cut to size. I picked up some fasteners from Home Depot and bolted the sheet into place.


I then bolted the cushion (which desperately needs to be reupholstered) onto my wood sheet.


Not too bad. In the future I'll replace the wood with a thin sheet of aluminum. I'll be able to use the current piece as a template to make the metal work easier.

Very shortly I'll be posting an electrical diagram for my car. I've been working on it the past couple weeks, but I'm waiting on some more feedback before I post it for all to see. I don't want someone to see a flawed draft schematic and use that for their car.

No comments: