Sunday, April 12, 2009

Old Tires / Wheels

I got a response from my motor controller manufacturer; it turns out the controller has an 80V cutoff so I won't be able to test it until I get my full pack in. The Spitfire is much happier with my new electrical system though (at least according to the car's voltmeter), and I've cleaned up the wiring a bit...


My wife bought me tires for Christmas, but I haven't had time to install them as I've been busy with other parts of the car. My existing tires weren't looking too pretty...


Unfortunately the picture also shows the sad shape of my wheels. After I pulled off the two rear tires I saw just how bad the wheels were. Lots of dents and rust. So much so I'm surprised one of they still hold air! Looks like I'll have to replace them as well.

The Spitfire has a bolt pattern of 4-95.25 - completely nonstandard so the junkyard is out. http://www.victoriabritish.com has a few styles of wheels, but they start at $660. I tried 3 local tire stores, but they'll have to call their suppliers on Monday to get more information. Apparently they may be able to take an unfinished 13" wheel and drill my bolt pattern into it. I'm also keeping an eye on Craigslist. I don't mind a fresh set of wheels on the car, but I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible.

No comments: